I try to push the boundaries of natural language processing research by means of democratizing it (i.e., multilingual approaches and open access tools/datasets for world’s languages) and developing machine learning models for natural language understanding and generation. My research interests include – but not limited to – morphology, semantics, low-resource languages and interpretability.
Currently, I am a postdoctoral researcher at UKP in Technical University of Darmstadt, working with Prof. Iryna Gurevych. Before that, I got my PhD degree from Computer Engineering Department in Istanbul Technical University, where I was supervised by Prof. Eşref Adalı and was an active member of İTÜ NLP group. During my PhD studies, I’ve visited Institute for Language, Cognition and Computation (ILCC) for six months, where I worked with Prof. Mark Steedman.
- Gözde Gül Şahin, Iryna Gurevych. Two Birds with One Stone: Investigating Invertible Neural Networks for Inverse Problems in Morphology. In Proceedings of AAAI 2020. [pdf][code]
- Gözde Gül Şahin, Clara Vania, Ilia Kuznetsov, Iryna Gurevych. LINSPECTOR: Multilingual Probing Tasks for Word Representations. (To appear in Computational Linguistics Journal, June 2020 & To be presented in ACL 2020.) [pdf][code]
- Max Eichler, Gözde Gül Şahin, Iryna Gurevych. LINSPECTOR WEB: A Multilingual Probing Suite for Word Representations. In Proceedings of EMNLP 2019: System Demonstrations. [demo page][pdf][cite][code]
- Steffen Eger, Gözde Gül Şahin, Andreas Rücklé, Ji-Ung Lee, Claudia Schulz, Mohsen Mesgar, Krishnkant Swarnkar, Edwin Simpson, Iryna Gurevych. Text Processing Like Humans Do: Visually Attacking and Shielding NLP Systems. In Proceedings of NAACL-HLT 2019. [pdf][video][cite][code]
- Gözde Gül Şahin, Mark Steedman. Data Augmentation via Dependency Tree Morphing for Low-Resource Languages. In Proceedings of EMNLP 2018. [pdf][cite][code]
- Gözde Gül Şahin, Mark Steedman. Character-Level Models versus Morphology in Semantic Role Labeling. In Proceedings of ACL 2018. [pdf][cite][code]
- Gözde Gül Şahin, Eşref Adalı. Annotation of semantic roles for the Turkish Proposition Bank. Language Resources and Evaluation volume 52, pages 673–706 (2018). [Project Website][pdf]
- Gözde Gül Şahin, Erdem Emekligil, Seçil Arslan, Onur Ağın, Gülşen Eryiğit. Relation extraction via one-shot dependency parsing on intersentential,higher-order, and nested relations. Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences, 26, 830-843 (2018).[pdf][cite]
- Gözde Gül Şahin. Building of Turkish PropBank and Semantic Role Labeling of Turkish. PhD thesis, Istanbul Technical University, January 2018 [pdf]
For older publications, check my google scholar page